WHY IS MY JAW CLICKING?
By Ali Simpson
When you think of joints in the body, what comes to your mind?
The knee? The wrist? The shoulder? The hip?
How about the jaw?
The TMJ (temporomandibular joint), commonly called the jaw, is made up of your mandible and small notches in our skull.
These joints are located just in front of both your ears. In between these bones, sits a cushion-like disc which allows the joints to slide and glide smoothly.
SYMPTOMS OF JAW DYSFUNCTION
Throughout the day, we move our mouth approximately +1000 times! This means our TMJs get a fair work-out!
If there is a problem with the disc in either of your TMJs, you may experience the following:
- Pain – usually along the cheekbone, lower jaw or into the neck
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Clicking or popping noises during opening, closing or eating
- Restriction when opening your mouth and/or jaw locking
- Deviation of the jaw on opening
WHAT CAUSES MY JAW PAIN?
Contributing factors to jaw pain and discomfort may include:
- Clenching/grinding teeth particularly when stressed or during sleep
- Trauma to jaw/ temporomandibular joint
- Whiplash injury – affecting muscles of head and neck
- Habits – nail biting, chewing your lip, pen, pencils
- Stress – commonly released when a person continuously or unconsciously clenches/grinds their teeth
- Work-related reasons such as – holding the telephone to your ear using your shoulder
- Chewing gum regularly
COME SEE A PROFESSIONAL
If this sounds similar to what you are experiencing, come and visit Ali, our Osteopath at Corio Bay Sports Treatment Clinic.
There are a variety of Osteopathic techniques that can be used to treat TMJ pain or discomfort.
Ali will assist you with developing an appropriate management plan tailored to you.
Book An Appointment With Ali Today!
Come and have a chat with one of our therapists to see if we can help improve your health. Book online or call the clinic on (03) 5232 2400.